Like the frog in the pot that is gradually getting cooked so is the way we view television, with the audience being the frog. So many things are "socially exceptable" these days. The thing is, it didn't happen over night.
Recently Bob Barker said farewell in a string of prime time episodes on The Price Is Right. My family and I were watching one of those shows on a Wednesday night, as they were reminiscing about Bob's adventures that he had been in. They showed a clip from Happy Gilmore where a fight broke out between Happy (Adam Sandler) and Bob Barker. One of the phrases that was said was "The price is wrong bi**h" and Bob returning with a comment of his own also using the word bi**h.
At that instant, I looked up at the clock, noticing it was 8:30pm, and then at my twins, who are 3, and couldn't beleive what I just heard. Primetime and children are still up.
My, we have come along way. I'm sure Mr. Barker wouldn't have even of airing that 35 years ago.
I learned a valuable lesson that night; monitor everything your kids watch, even if it is a talk show host that has been on for 35 years.
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment