Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What Can Country Music Promote?

Not all country music is bad. I think it's neat that Alan Jackson has put out an album with hymns, and there are others who have faith in God and show it. But I'm going to talk about the other side. My best friend's daughter went to see Kenny Chesney a couple of weeks ago and said there were a lot of drunks there including a woman in her early 60's smoking pot with a girl, 4-5 years of age with her.
She said most of his songs were about sex or alcohol, which after an evening of drinking can really make things tempting. A few years back, I was one of those drunks. A friend of mine and I caught a Kenny Chesney show at the same venue back in the summer of 2001.
My friends daughter was telling me that there was a young lady dancing seductive with quite a few different men at different times.
It's ironic that I saw 60 Minutes the other night to see that they were interviewing Kenny Chesney. In the interview he referred to his concerts as "fun".
I stopped listening to country music a few years ago so I really don't know the content of the newly released songs but I do know that some still promote alcohol and promiscuity. I have heard that if you play country music backwards you get your wife back, your dog back and you sober up. It's funny but also sad. I wouldn't want to take my kids to a show if they were a fan and wanted to see him. I'm looking at this from a Christian perspective but I was there for several years as a DJ in a country club and as a fan. I wouldn't want to go back to that life for nothing. I pray for the people that live that lifestyle because I know it can take you down a road of destruction.

No comments: